Friday, July 13, 2012

Ásatrú Community Center

YAC Community Center Logo Idea
Most religious organizations have some sort of community center. I live in the City of Providence in a mixed race neighborhood, and on every street corner there is some sort of Christian community center. Some of these centers take the form of a church, others are old storefronts that have been turned into christian missions. There are also religious bookstores selling Christian propaganda to the masses. Christians, Jews, and Muslims have community centers, even Buddhists have community centers, why don't we? 

The Ásatrú community has taken on the idea that promoting religion is bad. This is due to the fact that most of us were raised as Christians or without religion because Christianity was "forced" upon us. My parents were and are Christians, Episcopal to be precise, and they took me to church. They did not make me go because they are evil people, it was because it was their belief and they wanted me to be a part of that. It was their way of promoting their religion. When I was old enough to think for myself I told my parents why I did not think Christianity was right for me. Luckily I had understanding parents who allowed me to find my own path.

As Ásatrúar we should teach our children about our beliefs and bring them into the folds of Ásatrú. We should be proud of what we believe in and wear our religion on our sleeves. We should promote and be present within our communities. Now I am not saying to go knocking on people's doors on Saturday mornings pushing the Ásatrú version of the Watchtower, but we should feel open enough to talk to non Heathens and those interested in Ásatrú. We should be beacons in the community for those who are trying to find their way back to their Trú Gods. 

The YAC does not have a community center. The idea has always been on the table, but community centers are expensive to open and maintain. The first thing that needs to be done is to get non-profit religious status from both the State and Federal government. This can be costly and complicated. You will need capital, and possibly a lawyer, accountant, or someone to cipher the government forms! The YAC is in the process of doing just this. 

I have proposed that we start planning for a future Ásatrú community center. A center that will be a model for Ásatrú centers throughout the the United States. It is my belief that these centers should be a place were Ásatrúar can come together to worship and volunteer their time in support of their community and Folk. We could have a rec-room, worship center, a conference hall, and a small store the possibility are endless.

Making a strong community presence for our Folk is highly important if we want to grow as a community.Our Folk need a place to gather and celebrate our heritage and beliefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment